Thursday, November 18, 2010

BROWNIES 16



Guys I think I've done it - I've found the best brownies ever (well the best brownies so far!).  They are luscious, moist and intensely chocolaty.  They are easy to make.  They are (relatively) inexpensive to make.  Happy days!!

I visit a really interesting and fun forum called Violet's Pantry (contact RhyleysGranny if you are interested in joining) Hevz one of the members brought this recipe to our attention - it originally came from a children's recipe book, so it was no small feat to have rooted it out.  It is incredibly popular amongst the members, who have over time suggested a few small improvements, I have taken them all on board and this is the result.  Please try them, they are really worth a go.


Hevz's Brownies
Adapted from  Jennie Maizels

200g/8oz           butter
100g/4oz           cocoa powder
4                       eggs
400g/16oz         caster sugar
1 tsp                  vanilla
pinch                  coffee powder
100g/4oz           self raising flour
100g/4oz           chocolate chunks (I don't bother, brownieville boy#2 prefers it without)

Preheat oven to 175 C/350 F
Line a 9"/23cm brownie tin with parchment paper

Beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy (takes a while).
Melt the butter and add the cocoa, whisk to remove any lumps.
Fold the cocoa mixture into the egg mixture, and when combined add the vanilla, coffee and chocolate chunks (if using).
Add the flour, being sure not to over mix.
Pour into the prepared tin and bake for approx. 40 minutes (check from 30)
Check with a skewer to make sure it has the right brownie consistency.
Cool slightly before cutting into squares.

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.



When we are on the subject of chocolate, I was invited to an eye opening press launch   (I know!!!) earlier this week.  Claudio Carallo Chocolate has been introduced to the Irish market by Sheridans Cheesemongers.  The most important thing to mention about this chocolate is that it tastes fantastic - not a trace of bitterness (even in the 100% cocoa variety), without doubt the nicest chocolate I have ever tasted.  I intend to head to Sheridans before Christmas for Mr Brownieville's stocking fillers - he'll be in heaven!



Claudio grows the cocoa beans (an ancient low yield variety, that is unique to him) and produces the chocolate in Africa.  Buying this chocolate not only gives the taste good factor (it has won all sorts of awards) but also the feel good factor - way better than putting money into a charity box!

The tasting was very interesting, very similar to a wine tasting - you had to allow the chocolate to melt in your mouth  and cover all the surfaces to get the full impact. (Actually Claudio compared growing cocoa to growing grapes, and making chocolate to making wine).  The 100% blew me away - I could still taste it when I arrived home (after a 3/4 hour journey!).  It is expensive so definitely not for cooking, but real treat stuff. 

I'd love to hear how you get on if you try the brownies or the chocolate.

23 comments:

Gloria Baker said...

Dear Brownies girl I think your brownies look really amazing, I want to try this recipe, look amazing, gloria

Zoe said...

I can see that brownies are finishing very quickly...

Rhyleysgranny said...

Aha Hevz Brownies have hit the big time! I have never heard of this chocolate. Must look out for it. I rather fancy a chocolate tasting. Nice.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

OMG they look delicious, I'll be right over for brownies and a cup of tea! LOL!!! Have a great weekend!

Manu said...

I love brownies!!!LOL

Sharon said...

Hi there,
Thanks so much for visiting, commenting on and following my blog (http://foodiefancies.blogspot.com/). I'm sorry to have taken so long to respond. I was away in Berlin on hols and I've been inundated with work since I got back. I love your recipes and will definitely try one out soon. The brownies I sell on my stall at the farmers' market are quite similar to the recipe you've got up at the moment (and yes, they are SUPER good!). Looking forward to seeing what else you post...

Kim said...

The brownies look and sound amazing, but it's the chocolate tasting party that has won me over! What a super fun event!

laurie said...

I'm always up for trying a new Brownie recipe! Thanks!

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

Where is the vanilla ice cream? These look yummy.

Danielle said...

Yay more brownies(: These look delicious! They look really moist too.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Right, recipe bookmarked! The tasting sounded great. I get invited to a lot in London, which I ust can't go to, it's very cruel!

Brownieville Girl said...

Thanks Guys!!

OBOS - come on over - I'll throw another batch together, I'm good like that!!

Granny, Kim and Jacqueline - the chocolate tasting was really infromative, but would have much better had there been a bit more chocolate!! We were only given a half a square of each type tasted, that was three types of chocolate and a toasted cocoa bean! Three bars would have suited me better!!!!!!!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

You can't lose. Brownies are always gobbled up in this house

Jemima said...

Wow they look fab! My mother in law prides herself on *thinking* she is the world's greatest baker, and she often makes brownies. The devil in me is thinking 'this recipe might knock her off her perch!' I am such a baaaaad person BG! x

Caroline said...

They look amazing, and wow, that's a lot of cocoa powder!

Anonymous said...

They look really good! Wish I had one. I guess I will just have to try the recipe. ;)

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

The brownie recipe sounds delicious with the pinch of coffee powder! I'm saving a copy ;) I wish I could have joined you at the chocolate tasting!

Brownieville Girl said...

Beth - they don't last too long here either!!

LC - very important to do a bit of perch knocking!!!

C - I know, it's almost a whole tub of Green and Black cocoa - but cheaper than good chocolate and well worth it!

Alwayzbakin - I'd love to hear how you get on if you try them.

STitK - I would have loved the company!

Unknown said...

This is interesting because most brownie recipes are made with chocolate and I've always made them with cocoa like yours, I think your coffee addition is a stroke of inspiration.

Chele said...

Wow - fantastic brownies and a press launch, oh to live the high life lol. Great looking brownies ;0)

Choclette said...

I'm always up for trying a new brownie recipe and these certainly look good. Your chocolate tasting evening sounds fun. I only know of one 100% chocolate in the UK and that's Willie's. I wonder if Claudio's is available too.

Brownieville Girl said...

Thanks a million Liz!!

Chele - I wish!!

Choclette - I'd imagine so, I have linked to their website.

Barbara said...

Dear BrownievilleGirl,

I too have always been searching for the perfect brownies recipe. I will definitely try this one. Thanks so much for sharing. - Barbara