Wednesday, September 22, 2010

SEMIFREDDO



I love to have something special hidden away in the freezer in case of unexpected guests - or even expected guests and no time!!  I wholeheartedly recommend this semifreddo for such an eventuality (or for any eventuality, or even "because we're worth it"!!).  It is really scrumptious!

This recipe originated in Catherine Fulvio's delightful new book Catherines Italian Kitchen, the photo looked so appealing  that I had to give it a go.  Then a little light pinged in my head, and I thought of the wonderful  Choclette and her pal Chele's new competition We Should Cocoa - where they asked us to come up with dishes containing chocolate (of course) and this months special ingredient Raspberries.  Bing, bang, bosh with some changes to the original (which is titled Limoncello, White Chocolate and Cherry Semifreddo) I have come up with this recipe - somewhat lower in calories than the original, but really, really good despite this!!


Raspberry, Cherry and White Chocolate Semifreddo

100g          raspberries  (fresh or frozen)
50g            cherries       (fresh/frozen or tinned)
85g            caster sugar (divided in two)
290 ml       double cream
400ml        yoghurt (I used Greek)
4 tbsp        Lemoncello (or Framboise would be good too)
100g          white chocolate chips or a bar chopped up


Line a 1kg/2pint loaf tin with cling film.

Chop up the cherries and place in a bowl with the raspberries and half the sugar.
Whisk the cream and the other half of the sugar until soft peaks form, stir in the liqueur and the yoghurt.
Fold in the fruit and the chocolate.
Pour into the tin  and smooth the top, cover with more cling film and freeze.
The semifreddo should be frozen for at least 6 hours and for up to 3 weeks.

When ready to serve make the coulis:


Coulis
100g cherries (I used  frozen)
150g raspberries (I used frozen)
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp Lemoncello or Framboise

Place the fruit, liqueur and sugar in a saucepan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves.
Allow to cool.
Blitz with a stick blender (if you wish)
Press through a nylon sieve to remove the pips.


Remove the semifreddo from the freezer an hour before serving - keep it in the fridge.
Remove the cling film and drizzle with the coulis.
Serve and enjoy!

15 comments:

Kitten with a Whisk said...

I've been wanting to make some kind of semifreddo all summer. So yuumy!

Maria♥ said...

This semifreddo looks and sounds so lush! Great combo of flavours.

Maria
x

Patrice said...

Oh, yum! I don't think it would be easy to leave it alone in the freezer. It might get lonely! lol

Brownieville Girl said...

Kitten - it's the first semifreddo I've made, why did I wait so long?????

Maria - the cherries and raspberries worked very well together, and everything works with cream!!!!!!

Patrice - didn't last too long!!!

Rose H (UK) said...

Oh Lordy, I daren't make this...my waistline is FAR TOO BIG as it is! Mouth watering as I write...

Jemima said...

I'm with Rose, my gut is stretching at the mere mention of double cream! You are very talented to just whip something up..I might have been tempted to call for a take away *hangs head in shame*

Sommer said...

This is something I've always wanted to try! This recipe sounds gorgeous, super fruity and refreshing!! Thanks for posting

Unknown said...

looks damn fine... what's the one you pour coffee onto? i want you to make that next...

Brownieville Girl said...

Rose - a little of what you fancy does you good!!!!

LC, don't think I don't succumb every so often!!

Thanks a million Sommer - you should give it a go - it's so easy!

Dom - YES SIR!!!!! Affogato on the way!!!!

Lucie said...

Wow! This looks wonderful - a very impressive dessert to pull out of the freezer for guests.

Anonymous said...

That looks great! Love your blog!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow!!! What a fabulous dessert. You did a great job with this one.

Karen said...

I recently made a semifreddo for the first time and it is now a staple on my dessert menu! Yours sounds heavenly with the raspberry...yum!

Choclette said...

This has got to be on my list for next summer - an inspired semmifreddo and it sounds delicious. Thank you for taking part in the challenge and thanks for being so kind.

Maxine said...

BRILLANTE - our Summer is just around the corner - and sitting outside under our tall Jacarander trees with friends on a barmy night- with a glass of something suitable and a white plate with this dessert on it sounds just PERFECT.

Thankyou
M (Australia)