Monday, June 28, 2010

PEAS AND RICE



This warm weather really does call for a different style of eating - barbecues are perfect, as are salads.  This soup/risotto also hits the spot, it doesn't call for standing over the stove stirring (no hardship in the winter, but just too hot at the moment) but feels more of a meal than a bowl of soup.

Risi e bisi (from Nigella Summer) is the basis for this dish, I had intended on using the bunch of peas that came in this week's vegetable box - but (confession time) they didn't last until dinner, actually they didn't last an hour, I ate them all while planning what to cook with them!!!!!!  But I have to say they were delicious, I don't regret a single pod ;-)

I turned to the ever ready frozen peas (the friend of every cook) and even the veg phobic one enjoyed this.  I did blitz the peas before adding the rice, so the texture suited him - the taste would have to please anyone, it was sweet, savoury and really, really fresh.

This is my version:

Pea and Rice Soup

3/4 litre      hot chicken stock
200g          frozen peas
1 tbsp        butter
2 tbsp        grated parmesan cheese + the cheese rind (if you have one handy)*
1 tbsp        olive oil
1               shallot
1 tbsp       chopped mint
110g         risotto rice (best quality you can get)


Gently fry the shallot in the butter and oil until soft and translucent.
Add the peas and mint and stir in the buttery oil for a few minutes.
Add some of the stock and blitz this mixture until smooth.
Add the rice and coat in the pea mixture.
Add the stock and the cheese rind (if available).
Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
Pour into bowls and sprinkle over the grated parmesan cheese.
Serve and enjoy.

*I always save my parmesan rinds, and keep them in the freezer to use in soups and risottos.

9 comments:

La Bella Cooks said...

I love the use of the parmesan rind as well. It gives soups a great depth. This sounds so healthy and delicious. Perfect for a warm evening.

Lucie said...

Wow this looks wonderful - fab colour and it sounds packed with delicious flavours! Lucie x

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful- I can almost taste it!

Jhonny walker said...

I haven't ever had this soup before..and can you believe itm I thought I was the soupie! Incredible idea and soon to be made :)

Jutta said...

Great green colour! I wish it was warm here. It is the coldest day in Melbourne for 2 years, not getting to double figures. You would think after me getting through the coldest winter in 30 years in London, that this would be a walk in the park, but the wind chill is the difference. It's so cold, I just ordered all my shopping online as I refuse to venture out if I can avoid it. Unfortunately I have to walk down the gym for my induction this evening, it's only a 3 minute walk but will be so cold.

Anonymous said...

Your soup looks great. I had to laugh that you ate all the fresh peas because that sounds like something I would do! I'll have to bookmark this recipe because I love pea soup (and I always have frozen peas on hand). I would have never thought to add rice to it though.

Unknown said...

I love the blend of flavors is this dish. I make something similar, but I don't add the fresh mint. I am going to have to give it a try!

Kelly-Jane said...

I've never managed to make it with fresh peas either - they are just so good raw, never any left!

Unknown said...

This looks so fresh and lovely, and the use of parmesan rind is inspired. I have a bit of difficulty with raw peas (burp) and if I grow them my husband eats them in the garden and I say - these peas are not cropping well...then he confesses