Tuesday, June 22, 2010

OLD FAVOURITE: CHOCOLATE ROULADE




Sometimes perfection is not what you are after, and I certainly didn't achieve it here!!  But for all the lack of achievement in the looks department, this roulade really made up for it in taste.

We have a system in my family - I do all the hard work, finding recipes that really work, playing with them, getting them just right - then my sisters take them over as their own, and lap up all the praise!!!!!!  Actually it is quite fair, as I am a culinary butterfly (!) and get bored with making the same recipe again and again, I love to try new things, live on the wild side (so to speak!).

Sometimes, though, you have to go back to the old reliables, we have been making this roulade for forever, I don't even remember where the original recipe came from (think it might be Darina Allen, not sure though), and it is a firm favourite at get togethers and parties (and after parties - sister #1 always has to make extra for the next day, otherwise there would be a mutiny in her house!).

It was my baby's birthday recently (some baby, he's taller than me!) and I decided to make the roulade for him - there had been an incident a few years ago where he ate an entire roulade at his Granny's birthday party  (without being sick)!!, so I know he really likes it.

I forgot to make the sponge part the day before, hence the fact that it didn't roll smoothly, but I quite like the rustic look!  This is how it should look:





Chocolate Roulade

6 oz/ 170g           dark chocolate*
6oz/171g             caster sugar (I use golden)
3 tbsp                  hot water
5                          eggs
1/4 pt /250ml       cream

Prepare swiss roll tin (13"x9") with baking paper.
Preheat oven to 180 C

Melt the chocolate and 1tbsp water in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.
Separate the eggs.
Whisk egg whites and set aside for the moment.
Whisk the yolks and sugar together until light, pale and fluffy.
Stir 2 tbsp of hot water into the chocolate mixture.
Beat chocolate mixture into the egg yolk and sugar.
Fold the light fluffy egg white into this mixture 1/3 at a time, being as careful as possible to keep the air in.
Pour into the prepared tin, making sure the mixture goes right up to the edges.
Bake for 15 minutes, until it looks springy and cooked, skewer test wont work here, it needs to feel bouncy to the touch.
Remove from the oven, cover with a damp cloth and leave over night in the tin.
Before serving spread whipped cream and using the baking paper to help you, roll up as neatly as you can.
Sprinkle with icing sugar.

*70% is just too strong here, 50% is plenty (we often use Bournville)

15 comments:

Lorraine said...

hey it's got chocolate and it's got cream - what more could a person ask for? :)

Charlotte said...

Agree with the comment above!

Looks lovely - I just wish it wasn't so hot round here that you can't enjoy chocolate properly!

Blue Skies
Charlotte xx

http://housewife-chic.blogspot.com

BetterLate said...

I've a feeling there might be a vintage Delia recipe like this... very yummy, as I remember...

Anonymous said...

I've never had this before, but it sounds like it'd be fantastic!

Prema said...

this is really yummy!will try it...

Mary Bergfeld said...

I have had a version of this cake and can attest to how wonderful it is. Things don't always turn out as we wish but the flavor is still there. I hope you are having a great day. I'm really pleased you came to visit my site. I hope you'll become a regular visitor. Blessings...Mary

Rhyleysgranny said...

It looks and sounds lovely. It seems it is the thing to have a more rustic look to a roulade. I saw a perfectly rolled one the other day and do you know it looked odd? I have never made a roulade. I need to do this and this looks like a great recipe. x

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I haven't made on of those since school. A chocolate one, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, lovely!

thecelticcookinshanghai said...

Isn't this often the case. looks aren't everything. Hope you enjoyed eating it.

Brownieville Girl said...

Homebird - totally agree!

Charlotte - I can always enjoy chocolate, even in this weather ... chocolate ice-cream, iced chocolate drinks!!

BL, I think this recipe is too inexact to be a Delia!!

B-S, you should give it a go, it's lovely and light.

P.A. thanks :-}

Mary, looking forward to being a regular visitor.

Granny, I went well down the rustic route!!

Jacqueline, what other types of roulade did you make? I must look into other flavours.

Jacqui, I like that sentiment! Yes, it went down really well.

Choclette said...

I go with you and the rustic look. I made one at Christmas and made a complete hash of the rolling, but it sure tasted good. I bet yours was delicious.

Jutta said...

Anything chocolate is a winner for me. I have always been scared of attempting roulade, the rolling idea makes me very nervous. Will try one day, when I have the house to myself and no little people to distract me.

Anonymous said...

In Spain they call this a Gypsy's Arm! I can see why your son would eat a whole one in one sitting- easily done! And I think the rustic look is great- shows it isn't a plasticky factory made roulade. Yum is what I say!

Saffy said...

I saw that pic before I read and just went "Oh, YUM". Chocolate and cream... is there anything more perfect? No wonder your 'baby' loves it so much! :)

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

It was more like a swiss roll with a filling of cream and raspberry jam. The roulade was like a victoria sponge mixture. It was lovely too :)