Wednesday, June 9, 2010

CAN IT BE THIS EASY??






Barbados Cream is the first recipe I made when How to Eat (Nigella Lawson) came into the house, and I have been making it for every party, dinner party and bun fight ever since!!

It goes with everything, be it a bowl of fresh fruit (love it with strawberries) a cake (great with any chocolate) or even a pie or crumble - versatile should be its middle name!!

The other attraction to this dessert is the praise, it comes in bucket loads when you serve Barbados Cream!!  I could not tell you the number of people who have told me that it is delicious and ask for the recipe, when I tell them what to do they look at me very sceptically (they think I'm hiding some essential information) something this good should not be this easy.

The recipe consists of equal quantities of Greek yogurt and double cream, topped with a heavy layer of good brown sugar, allow the sugar to meld into the creamy mixture for 24 hours.  The result is a fudge like cream, totally delicious.

You can ring the changes with the yogurt - it is good with a creamy vanilla or a coconut yogurt.  I don't think most fruit yogurt would work though.


                                         Here is the finished Barbados Cream on the left.


Barbados Cream


300ml               double cream (ordinary cream is fine in Ireland)
300g                 Greek Yogurt (Glenisk organic is really fantastic)
75g                   soft brown sugar (enough for a thick layer over the cream mixture)

Beat the cream until softly stiff (not too stiff though)
Fold in the Greek yogurt.
Transfer to your shallow serving dish (you want as large a surface area as possible)
Sprinkle thickly with the sugar (as above)
Cover with cling film and store in the fridge overnight (24 hours is best)
Wait for the praise!!!!!!!

You can of course change the amount of cream and yogurt you use to suit what you have in the fridge and/or the size of your dish - just keep them approximately equal portions of each.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Manu said...

I love greek yogurt! I use to eat it with jam or fresh fruits! Sounds great!

Lilly Higgins said...

This looks great! I love greek yogurt too. I tried a 'creme brulee' recipe where you put brown sugar over greek yogurt & grill it but it was terrible. I love recipes like this, really simple and doable! It'd be gorgeous with barbequed pineapple. I'll definitely try it at the weekend, thanks!x

Lisa said...

Delicious! I haven't tried this but it's obviously what inspired the Caribbean Creams from Nigella Express and they are gorgeous. I love Greek-style coconut yoghurt, so yummy!

Saffy said...

LOL. All the effort into so many things, and this quicky is such a winner :) Of course I've made a mental note to hold onto this one!!!! (and with bbq'd pineapple? yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!)

Anonymous said...

This looks very interesting. Do you use it as a topping for the cakes, pies?

thecelticcookinshanghai said...

Nigella's recipes are always so good and easy to follow. I have all her books and love them all. This dish I have never made but it does look delicious.

Brownieville Girl said...

Manu, this is lovely with fresh fruit.

Great idea Lilly, I love barbequed pineapple, it would be a perfect combination - I also love coconut sorbet with it, yummm!

Lisa I haven't made the caribbean creams - just don't fancy the banana!!

Saffy, hope the afternoon tea went well - I know the chat was great, and I'm sure the food was too!

Edie, no I serve it on the side - it would be too soft to use as a topping.

Jacqui, as with most of Nigella's recipes this is a winner!!

Anonymous said...

Yes- I agree- my aunty makes this for us ALL the time- and has done since we were little- with a layer of raspberries on the bottom. She'd leave the dish for about half an hour till the sugar sank in...it's sooo delicious and sooo simple, and hilarious when you tell people how it's made!!!

La Bella Cooks said...

Oh my, I am a HUGE fan of Nigella's Barbados Cream. The bad part is that half of it is missing before I can even get it out for parties. I love to dip strawberries in it.
Her Caribbean creams are quite tasty too!

Rhyleysgranny said...

Wow Now this ticks all my boxes. I have never noticed it in HTE. Off to look.