Wednesday, May 5, 2010

LEMONY CHICKEN



Probably not the most beautiful plate of food I've ever served up, but man oh man it tasted good.  This dish was quick, easy, healthy and delicious.  Next time I think I'll serve my chicken with brown rice (and no I'm not wearing socks and sandals!!) I think that the nutty texture would suit the soft poached chicken very well.

This dish came about because of my preserved lemons ( I love preserved lemons)  which I had made before Christmas and then they totally slipped my mind, what a lovely surprise to find them at the back of the cupboard, like a late Christmas present from me to me!!

I know that preserved lemons are fantastic with fish (I make a dish with them and monkfish and semi sun-dried tomatoes, which is good) but wanted to try them with chicken for a change.

I poached the chicken in a little chicken stock to which I added 1/4 chili chopped  small and a small sprig of rosemary.  When it was cooked I chopped up 1/4 mild chili, 1/4 preserved lemon, 1 scallion (spring onion), small handful of coriander and zested a 1/2 a lime.  I mixed these and tossed most of the mixture through the pasta (or rice) placed the chicken on top and sprinkled over the rest to the lemon mixture. A bit of seasoning and Bob's your uncle (or not!).

The left over stock was used by my son to make noodles (not that I should be encouraging him - think there might be a bit of a noodle addiction issue, wonder where he inherited  that???)

3 comments:

Lucie said...

This looks so tasty, what I would call a very clean dish. I think it looks great.

Maria♥ said...

Love the sound and look of this dish.

Maria
x

Unknown said...

I just read about preserved lemons the other day. I can't wait to make some and give them a try. Since we chicken so often in my household, a good chicken recipe is always appreciated. :)