Wednesday, March 3, 2010

TASTES TANGY


I love the feeling when something comes out of the oven and you just know that you have a success on your hands.
I had bought six mangoes recently with son one in mind, he loves them and I was sure that he would make short shift of them. I completely overestimated his fondness for the fruit, he ate two and that was his lot.
They ripened incredibly quickly and I had some mangoes that were about to turn into black spotted compost fodder! I had to act without delay. I hit the internet and came up with a few good options, first on the list was Bill Granger's lime and mango cake - this was a very lucky find - I just love this cake and as for the drizzle icing, it has that lovely tangy taste that reminds me of sherbet fountains and dib dabs (favourite sweets of my childhood).
I heartily recommend that you give this one a try.
Mango and Lime Cake
2 Mangoes, diced into small pieces
300g Plain flour
2 1/2 tsp Baking powder
180g soft butter, diced
250g caster sugar ( I always use golden sugar)
4 large eggs
200ml plain yogurt
zest of a large lime
Icing
185g icing sugar
juice of large lime (about 2 tbsp)
1 tbsp melted butter, cooled
Preheat oven to 170 C and oil a 26cm ring tin.
Beat the butter, sugar and lime zest until creamy.
Add the eggs one at a time, beat well after each addition. Sift in the flour and baking powder in two stages, alternating with the yogurt also in two stages. Gently fold the mango through the batter and pour into the prepared tin. Smooth the surface.
Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer (I use a strand of spaghetti) when poked into the middle comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, make the icing. Sift the icing sugar, add the lime juice and butter and beat together until smooth. Add more lime juice of you do not have a pouring consistency.
When the cake is ready, remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Drizzle generously with the lime icing and serve.
Enjoy

6 comments:

La Bella Cooks said...

I love the combo of the lime and mango. This cake sounds heavenly!

Natalya said...

Browniegirl,
Your cake looks so appealing and appetizing !
I would love to have a piece of it with a cup of tea :))

BetterLate said...

When I did this one, following Lu's suggestion, I thought it was rather heavy. She assured me that was fine but I wasn't convinced. How was yours from the texture point of view ?

Brownieville Girl said...

I really liked the texture Better Late, it wasn't light like a sponge, but not heavy either - in that lovely place in between!!

Jutta said...

Your cake looks wonderful. I hate mango so would not partake, but I still apreciate looking at it's spectacularity (is that a word?). I really like Bill Grainger recipes. I love the stand you have it on too.

Anonymous said...

I have just taken one of these out of the oven, following a recommendation on the Nigella web forum. I used Granger's recipe and a ring tin. When it came out of the oven it needed longer and it still stuck to the inside of the (well prepared)tin when it was removed. I ended up sticking the bits together, putting it on a baking sheet and giving it a further 15mins in the oven as it was still a bit sticky. I'm sure the icing will cover up a lot of the untidiness and it should taste fine, but I wonder what I did wrong. Perhaps a non-ring tin would be better?
I did some searching to see if anyone else had posted about it and found your site. Your cake looks great but did it come out complete and cooked through? (I ask as in the picture it looks upside down!)
Has anyone had a second go at this one following one that hasn't turned out quite right?
hopeeternal
'Meanderings through my Cookbook'
www.hopeeternalcookbook.wordpress.com