Friday, March 5, 2010

OUR DAILY BREAD




One of my New Year's resolutions this year was to tackle the "yeast issue" - I have always felt a bit nervous of kneading, proving, Knocking back etc.



Other than what is know in our house as "Coby's Bread" a wonderful No Knead, this is my first venture into the world of yeast.



I chose a recipe by Nevin Maguire, a chef who doesn't faff about, his recipes are straight forward and taste good. The bread was very good, with a light texture - I found it a bonus that it made two loaves, I could have a day off bread making duties!!!! Although the recipe is for a white bread I added wholemeal flour - just because I prefer it.



I give the recipe as I made it.



YEAST BROWN BREAD



350g strong white flour


350g wholemeal flour


2 x 7g sachets of easy blend dried yeast


25g caster sugar


1 tsp salt


1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp water



I used my Kitchen Aid with the hook attachment.



Preheat oven to 180 C



Place the flours in the mixer's bowl and add the yeast, 450ml lukewarm water, sugar and salt. Switch the machine on and mix until you have a sloppy dough, then knead on medium for 6 - 8 mins until the dough becomes slightly sticky but pliable.



Shape the dough into a loose ball, then place in an oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour until doubled in size.



Oil two 450g (1lb) loaf tins. Knock back the risen dough by punching it lightly with a clenched fist to knock our the trapped bubbles (my favourite part!), then return it to the mixer and knead for 2 - 3 mins until it becomes springy and smooth.



Divide the dough in two, shape them into a rectangle using the size of your tins as a guide. Place in the prepared tins, smooth down the tops and leave to prove for another 10 mins.



Brush the tops of the loaves with the beaten egg. Bake for 45 mins until the loaves are a deep golden colour and sound hollow when tipped out of the tins and tapped on the bottom. Return to the tins and leave for 5 mins, then transfer the bread to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before slicing.



Enjoy.








3 comments:

Jutta said...

Glad to see you enjoying yeast cookery. I am loving it. Gives a lot of satisfaction.

I no longer add sugar, there's no need for it. I follow the instructions in The River Cottage Bread handbook (great book!) and there is no need for sugar. The yeast feeds on the wheat.

I have never brushed the loaves with egg. Does it make them shiny, crunchier?

Brownieville Girl said...

The River Cottage Bread Book is on my list of to buys Jutta!

The egg did give a nice shiny glow to the bread but I wouldn't bother with it again.

Jutta said...

Thanks for sharing, that is good to know about the egg. I will stick to just using egg in suitable recipes like hot cross buns.

The River Cottage Bread Book is a great price on Amazon.