Tuesday, March 30, 2010

MYSTERY RECIPE!




Had a bit of a cake emergency recently (!) - my nephew's birthday cake of choice was out of stock at the shop, so Aunty Brownieville Girl had to step up to the the (cake) plate!

The resulting cake was one of the best yet, I used an old favourite for the cake, but the icing was where things really hit the dizzy heights!  AND I DON'T KNOW HOW I DID IT!!!!!!!!

Well I do know how I made it, I just used up any left over icings in the fridge, added a couple of tablespoons of Nutella and hay presto, delicious icing.  I had a small amount of both malteser and chocolate icings and a larger amount of the custard icing I made for my pimped biscuit, I added the Nutella whipped this up for about five minutes and yummmmm!!!!!   The obvious problem is how to replicate the icing,  I will try, and try and try and I promise to let you know how it goes.

The cake is moist and soft and chocolatey, here is the recipe.

Excellent Chocolate Cake
Based on Margaret Costa's Chocolate Fudge Cake

225g    plain flour
2 tbsp  cocoa
1 tsp    baking powder
1/2tsp  coffee powder
1/2 tsp bread soda (bicarbonate of soda)
55g      70% chocolate
115g    butter
175g    caster sugar
1          egg
150ml   soured cream
1/2 tsp  vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 190 C
Prepare 21cm ( 8") cake tin

Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder, coffee and bread soda together.
In a saucepan melt the chopped chocolate with 30ml of water, when melted stir until smooth -  allow to cool slightly.
Cream the butter and sugar together thoroughly, and then add the beaten egg a little at a time.  Mix well.
Beat in alternately, half of each at a time the chocolate, flour and the sour cream.  Finally add the vanilla extract.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 50 minutes.  The cake is ready when  a skewer comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then to finish cooling on a wire rack.
Decorate with your chocolate icing of choice.

Enjoy.

3 comments:

Jutta said...

Good luck re-creating the icing...a delicious task to undertake. I love nutella, which is why I try to avoid buying it. I can eat it straight from the jar.

Anonymous said...

Looks scrumptious!!! Nutella is a favorite of mine. I often layer straight from the jar in between my cake slices! I have to make this cake!

Coby said...

You made the chocolate and malteser icings? So you'll have to make batches (or half batches maybe) and work on getting the balance just so? LOL and then you patent it and sell it;) Looks beautiful!