Thursday, March 18, 2010

MY BISCUIT IS PIMPED!




Over at the wonderful "Claytons Blog" http://vipantrywedonthaveablog.blogspot.com/, EmmCee has challenged us to "Pimp" a Biscuit, and this is my effort.

I have spent hours in the biscuit isle of the local supermarkets - not my usual lurking section (that's more the baking isle) - eyeing up my options.  I had originally wanted to try a particularly Irish biscuit, but the only one I could think of was a Mikado, and I really don't like them, so I've resorted to the good old Custard Cream.

My first disappointment was that the custard creams were rectangle, not the round shape I had remembered from my biscuit buying past.  I have two sandwich tins the exact size stipulated in the rules,  but I reckon that I needed to stick as near to the original as possible (only better! - I hope!!)

I started with a shortbread base, I really love this shortbread, it's wonderful crumbly texture is due to the rice flour, it is alot lighter than other shortbreads I've tried with a pleasant grainy feeling in the mouth.


I made the filling with Birds custard - it was exactly the flavor I was after, it had the custardiness of a custard cream but didn't have the synthetic taste I was afraid I'd get. Result!!!!

The biscuit shape was my next problem,  I decided to use my large brownie tin, which is about 16 1/2inches x 7 1/2 inches, and cut the shortbread in half when it came out of the oven.  I think it worked well.

Here's the recipe:

Shortbread

170g   softened butter
85g     caster sugar
170g   plain flour
85g     rice flour

Line and butter your tin (I usually use 2 x 8" round sandwich tins)
Preheat oven to 150 C

Mix butter and sugar, until fluffy.
Sift flours and add gradually to the butter mixture.
This can be quite crumbly (see picture) but comes together well when you knead lightly.
Divide mixture between the tins and press down as evenly as possible.
Pop into the fridge for at least 30 minutes (can be done the day before if that helps)
Bake at 150 C for 30 - 40 minutes, until a light golden colour.
Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the tin, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

This shortbread is wonderful served with fresh berries and cream,  but that's beside the point I'm making a custard cream, this was the filling.

Custard Icing

100g     icing sugar
50g       soft butter
1 tbsp   custard powder

Whip the butter in a mixer, gradually add the sugar and custard powder.  If necessary add a tablespoon or two of hot water to get the desired texture.

I piped the custard icing onto the bottom sheet of shorbread and sandwich with the other sheet.

The "biscuit" passed the taste test here (ie. disappeared in no time) the shortbread was crunchy and crumbly, and the "custard" contrasted wonderfully, much smoother then the real thing.  The biscuit pimping exercise would have to be called a success!!! I want to say thank you to EmmCee, for bringing us this challenge - it's been great fun.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

EmmCee said...

Fantastic result and most of all how did it taste - as good as or better than the real thing! Your entry has been entered into the competition - Good Luck.

You will never look at the biscuit isle in the same way again!!

Coby said...

Ta DAAA! Brilliant BrownievilleGirl:) You are so clever:) I can *almost* taste that giant of a biscuit and I just know it would be better than anything I've ever tasted out of a packet!

I am SO very impressed, you should be proud of yourself:) Who's going to eat all that??;)

Rhyleysgranny said...

Brilliant Bvg. I am glad you decided. You must be worn out spending all that time in the biscuit aisles. LOL x

Brownieville Girl said...

Forgot all about reporting on the taste!!!!! I thing I presume that anything home made is better than the factory equivalent:-}

Have edited to include a report on the taste (not that I was left with a large portion to sample!!)

Thank you all for your kind comments, I think I might have to gradually wean myself away from the biscuit isle, not a great believer in cold turkey!!!!!

BetterLate said...

This looks delicious... I would love to be the official taster of all these pimped biscuits !

arista said...

This looks great! The shop bought custard creams don't really appeal to me, but your home-made one I would definitely like to try.