Monday, March 29, 2010

MORE BREAD




This is another one of our regular breads - really handy when there is no buttermilk in the house. The abundance of seeds really bump up the volume both taste and health wise - great when that combination comes together!

Before my blog addiction started, and all my recipes came from cook books I had thought this bread unusual as it uses just baking powder as the raising agent - now of course I realise that there are plenty of yeast and bicarbonate free recipes around, but I still think that this one is a winner.  It is incredibly easy to throw together, it's my bread of choice when I'm distracted (not an unusual occurrence!) as a light hand isn't necessary (as with soda bread) and energy isn't needed either (as with yeast!).

You will see from the photo that I have upped the sunflower seed ratio,  I love that they can be used here with no risk of the "green" goblin (bicarbonate of soda reaction) getting to them!!


Extra Healthy Brown Bread

300g      wholemeal flour
200g      plain flour
50g        bran
100g      seeds (whatever combination you want)
1 tbsp    treacle, honey or dark sugar
2 heaped tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp   salt
600 ml    milk (maybe less)


Preheat oven to 200 C

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.  Add the treacle (or whatever you are using) and stir in enough milk to make the mixture moist, but not as wet as a soda bread mixture. 

Place in a well oiled 900g tin (or I use a tin lined with parchment paper to save on the wash up!) and bake for 1 hour, after the hour remove the bread from the tin and tap the bottom, if it sounds hollow remove to a wire rack - otherwise return it to the oven without the tin for another 10 - 15 minutes.  I usually give it the extra time as the crunchy texture this gives is popular here.

2 comments:

Coby said...

Two paragraphs to make a bread? Now that's a good thing;) Some days, if you love home made it's great to have an option like this. The ingredients obviously keep this recipe which is simple to bring together interesting froma flavour perspective BG:)

Shaheen said...

This bread looks fantastic. I am also looking for something different from my 'normal' banana bread. Treacle here I come.