Monday, March 1, 2010

HAPPY DAYS 2


A couple more salads from my sisters party. These are from the Avoca Cafe Cookbook (I have tweaked them a bit), and are regulars.
The potato salad is flavoured with mint, which is quite an unexpected combination (at least I thought so the first time I tasted it!). Also because it mixes french dressing, yogurt and mayonnaise it doesn't have that claggy texture that some potato salads have.
The second salad is their famous broccoli, feta and hazelnut salad, again plenty of taste for very little work!
I always make a jam jar of french dressing before I start these salads, working in proportions and by taste. I measured it out this time in order to blog it, but make your own favourite.
FRENCH DRESSING
250ml extra virgin olive oil
75 ml white wine or cider vinegar
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp honey
10ml fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper
Mix all the above together in a jar and shake (like Tom Cruise in Cocktail!)
Alter to taste - add more oil or lemon juice as you wish.
POTATO SALAD
1 packet (900g) baby potatoes
75ml french dressing
3tbsp mayonnaise
4 tbsp greek yogurt
large bunch mint, chopped finely
salt and pepper
Boil the potatoes (I add the stems from the mint to the pot) until tender, then drain and while still hot cut into bite sized pieces. Discard the mint stems, then add the french dressing allow to cool (I usually allow them to cool overnight).
When at room temperature add the yogurt, mayo and mint. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve in a pretty bowl.
BROCCOLI, FETA AND HAZELNUT SALAD
100g toasted hazelnuts
400g bite-sized broccoli florets
150g feta cheese - cubed (or just use what comes in a packet)
250g cherry tomatoes
200ml french dressing
Gently toss all the ingredients together, season to taste (you probably won't need salt as the feta will provide plenty.
Enjoy

3 comments:

Coby said...

*Snap*:) My original potato salad uses mint too Browniegirl:) The other ingredients vary, but I agree with you that mint is a lovely and popular addition to potato salads:)

Brownieville Girl said...

Great minds think alike Coby:-}

Manu said...

Tonight I have to try your french dressing on my salad of potatoes and turnips!