Thursday, March 11, 2010

FEELING CRABBY!





I am very fortunate to have a wonderful fish mongers in a nearby town,  and recently I discovered that not only do they have great fresh fish but they also stock some treasures in the freezer!

I love crab, my kids love crab, even my other half (who loves fish, but isn't big on shellfish) likes crab,  Connolly's stock bags of crab claws and boxes of crab meat in the freezer.  The crab meat is unlike any I have bought in the supermarket as there are great big chunks of crab in it, not just the normal little splinters.  I bought a packet of the claws and a box of the meat, and when I got home while still frozen halved the box of crab meat, kept one half out and put the other in the freezer.

Then I put my thinking hat on (it's very becoming!!!)  and this is what I came up with,  it is a really luxurious dish,  I recommend it wholeheartedly.  Because it is a store cupboard (and freezer) meal, it would be very impressive to hand up to unexpected guests, and perhaps even to expected guests!  I think that the crab claws add to the appearance of the dish, but it would still be wonderful without.  I am planning on adding some steamed asparagus next time for colour.


Pasta with Creamed Crab

Serves 3

100g    crab meat
15        crab claws (optional but up the crab meat content if not using them)
1 tbsp   garlic oil  (is using the claws)
2 tbsp  creme fiche (light cream cheese would work too)
1 tbsp  lemon juice
zest of half a lemon
pinch of something spicey (I used cayenne pepper)
1 tbsp of parsley - finely chopped (I didn't have any to hand)
plenty of salt and pepper.

Fry the crab claws in some garlic olive oil.
Combine all the other ingredients.
Prepare your pasta of choice.
Stir the crab mixture and pasta together.
Divide the crab claws artistically (!) on the pasta and serve.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

BetterLate said...

Oh, if only I had a source of fresh crab...