Thursday, March 11, 2010

BROWNIES TWO



My search continues for the perfect brownie -although in this case I'm a firm believer in the "it's the journey not the achievement" philosophy!!

These beauties are thanks to Nigella Lawson, they are from How To Be A Domestic Goddess (like the baking/cooking part of that quest, not the constant cleaning bit!) and are my current favourite, it should be noted that I am very fickle when it comes to brownies, and that my favourite is usually the one I've just tasted.

The cream cheese gives them a wonderful contrast between the fudgy, sweet chocolate and the smooth and savoury cheese,  these are on my "return to" list. 



Cream-Cheese Brownies

125g    dark chocolate
125g    butter
2          large eggs
200g    caster sugar
1 tsp    vanilla extract
75g      plain flour
200g    cold cream cheese (Philadelphia or supermarket own brand)
1/4 tsp  coffee powder (this is my addition, as I feel a tiny bit of coffee is great with chocolate)


Line and grease a 23cm square tin, 4cm deep (although I just line mine)

Preheat oven to 180 C

Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water.

Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla in another bowl.

Measure the flour and coffee into a third bowl.

When the chocolate mixture has nearly completely melted - remove from the heat.  Allow to finish melting and then to cool slightly.

Beat in the egg mixture.

Add the flour and coffee - combine until smooth.

Pour half this mixture into the prepared tin, and lay the thinly sliced cheese on top.

Pour over the remaining half of the brownie mixture, making sure that all the cheese is covered.

Bake in oven for 20 minutes (as always mine took longer).  The top should be slightly pale and dry,  but a cake tester (or piece of spaghetti) should come out still fairly sticky.

Cool in the tin for at least 20 minutes then move to a wire rack to cool completely.  Cut when cold and hide!


Enjoy!

4 comments:

Rhyleysgranny said...

They are gorgeous aren't they. Your picture makes me want to rush to the oven.

Jutta said...

They look yummy! I am a fan of cream cheese, but I can't do the 85% chocolate as I find it too bitter, 70% for me. I love Lindt though!

I will never get bored of reading about your latest brownie achievement and seeing the pics.

When I am allowed sugar and dairy again, I will make some brownies too and share with you via cyberspace.

Brownieville Girl said...

Granny, thanks - my photo standard is way behind yours, but I'm trying!!!

Thanks Jutta, that's really tough being off sugar and dairy, roll on the day when you can re-introduce them!

Manu said...

Wow it sounds delicious . . .I NEED CHOC!!! Tomorrow I'm going to make it!Manu