Friday, March 5, 2010

BROWNIE ONE



At last, my first brownie blog! I am really disappointed with the photo, it was much more moist than it looks, I promise!! I do confess that it had gone past the squidgy stage, but only just.




I always buy Food & Wine Magazine (Ireland) and try one of the recipes immediately, this month the one to try just jumped out at me, it was a brownie (yeah) contained Guinness (yeah) and would be perfect for my pre St. Patrick's day blog (yeah).



I normally bake Nigella's Chocolate Guinness Cake for St. Paddy's Day (actually I use any excuse!), but hoped that these brownies would be a nice way to ring the changes. While they are lovely, they don't reach the dizzy heights of Ms Lawson's confection.



I would recommend these brownies though, the Guinness provides a subtle spiciness, and the white chocolate pieces become lovely and fudgy.



This recipe was contributed by Stephen Jeffers, who only converted some of the ingredients to metric, I have finished the job for him.









Chocolate Guinness Brownies



85g Sugar

250g Dark Chocolate (I used 75%)

85g Butter (softened)

125g Flour

125g Cocoa powder (I use Green and Black)

125g White Chocolate Chips (I used Green and Black and chopped it up)

285ml Guinness

4 Eggs



Preheat oven to 190 C. Line a 20cm square brownie dish.


Beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.


Melt the dark chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan, at a low to moderate heat. Stir until smooth and then pour into the egg mixture.


Sift the flour and cocoa together, beat into the chocolate mixture then add the white chocolate pieces, next stir in the Guinness.


Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 20 - 25 mins (this actually took alot longer in my oven, it was still raw after 20 mins!!)


Test with a skewer (or piece of raw spaghetti) it should come out semi clean.


Take out of the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 20 mins and then remove to a wire rack.


Enjoy.

3 comments:

Jutta said...

I love a brownie...any brownie really, although my fav so far is from The River Cottage Family Cookbook but the OTT (over the top) one that I will not make again is from one of Jamie Oliver's books, it is the recipe from Fifteen and it was just too rich, even for a brownie. I love getting the brownie out of the oven while still gooey in the middle...yum.

Photowise, a little advice someone gave me, is that if you have a macro option on your digital camera is to use that for food photos, never use a flash, preferably take photos in natural light but I live in a small London house so I end up taking photos in my kitchen illuminated by the light over the hob.

Kelly-Jane said...

Lovely brownies, well done on your start in the blogging world :)

Choclette said...

Oh good - another brownie recipe for me to try